Monday, November 20, 2006

back to nature



Despite our initial misgivings the midnight nature hike in NZ was a real experience.

Although the first half meant trekking through almost total darkness - and nearly falling into a river - it was all worth it.

If I had fallen into the pool I think the trout would have probably swallowed me whole they were so big.

The water was absolutely teaming with them and we also saw loads of fireflies.

I went in short sleves enjoying the mild antipodian night, much to the amusment of the Australians and Californians with us who were wrapped up like Scott of the Arctic in what they thought were freezing conditions.

The climax of the tip was getting to see the Kiwis. Apparently they're very rare now, especially on the North Island and I have to say they are one of the strangest looking animals I've ever seen. They make some crazy noises as well. Hopefully they won't go the way of the moa as they only have models of that left.

No comments:

Site Meter