Wednesday, January 28, 2009




Having commuted between Newcastle and London for the best part of 12 years Kings Cross station holds many, many bad memories for me. It’s probably best known for the epic delays, its crumbling, damp façade and the ever-present hoards of tramps/crackheads.

However, the adjacent St Pancreas station has been completely redeveloped and is now the main hub for the euro tunnel. They are also working on the main station but the whole thing is much more joined up and easier to use.

I have to say that’s it’s easily the best station I’ve ever been in and is actually much better than most of the major airports I’ve been too. They’ve done an amazing job restoring the Victorian station and adding loads of modern features. They just need to sort out the Olympics now and if they do a similar job they might just pull it off (I’m still sceptical though!)

I got the train all the way from Newcastle to France and was there in under 5 hours – It felt much quicker though and was much more comfortable than flying.

No comments:

Site Meter